Sunday, October 8, 2017

Japan Joining A.I. War

China looms over Japan in A.I. 


Japan fights back with massive investment in A.I.


Japan, a world leader in electronics and automotive manufacturing, has found that their focus on making things have left them far behind China in the race for artificial intelligence.

It is on the cutting edge of robotics and even leads the world in quantum computing research but when it comes to having an A.I. footprint with finance and eCommerce, Japan is losing ground to China and the US. In Japan, there are no companies like Google, Amazon, and China's Alibaba.

Big data to power the future of A.I.


The economic future of all countries depends on their A.I. - military too. Big data collection will power development in artificial intelligence. Having large eCommerce entities like Amazon will be the main drivers of data collection.

Countries like Japan, who don't have such companies, will be at a disadvantage to China and fall behind both economically and militarily. If the gap between China and Japan were left to grow too large, it could be disastrous for Japan.

Billions of yen to go into A.I. investment


Japan seems up to the challenge and has made a move. Recently, it announced it would be investing billions of yen from the 2018 Government budget in next-generation semiconductor development and other A.I. pursuits. The money will be used to fund new companies and university research.

Artificial intelligence is in significant use in Japan, however. Kirin Breweries, for example, use A.I. to process data on recipes. It plans on using A.I. to develop new flavors based on changing trends. Insurance company Fukuoka Mutual Life laid off over 30 workers and replaced them with A.I. The investment costs the company 200 million yen and it estimated the change to A.I. would save the company 140 million yen a year. Source
   

The US's Applied Materials leads the world in semiconductor technology


But to really compete or just keep up, nations will need to have access to big data. Semiconductors and quantum computing will also be critical. The US's Applied Materials, the world's largest producer of semiconductor technology, is an example of this: quantum computing needed for complex A.I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hillary Clinton Russia Uranium Scandal Goes Nuclear

Tic, tic, tic…it was just a matter of time before this scandal blew up. On the election trail, then-candidate Trum...